Wedding Planning Checklist
6 months to go
Start planning at least 6 months earlier as a wedding is no easy feat!
- Choose a season and finalize wedding date!
- Discuss the wedding budget and settle on an approximate figure.
- Do you want a destination wedding or a local one?
- Keepingyour budget in mind, make a list of the pre and post wedding events.
- Do an approximate headcount for each of these events
- Hire a wedding planner.
- If loan is required, research loan options and apply for loan.
- Shortlist venues for each of your functions, keeping in mind capacity and budget.
- Check out venues in person.
- Research on your wedding themes you may like.
- Check out DIY ideas if you want to personalise it.
- Go through invitation card designs and shortlist your favourites. OR come up with your own.
- Research honeymoon destinations.
5 months to go
- Book venues for all functions.
- Make sure you read the agreement and are on-board with everything.
- Finalize wedding invitation card along with design and wordings.
- Order wedding invitations cards.
- Look for preferred caterers.
- Go for food tasting with shortlisted caterers.
- Hire your favourite caterer.
- Finalise menus/s for your functions.
- Renew passports.
- Research and decide entertainment ideas as per functions.
4 months to go
- Make a detailed itinerary for each of the ceremonies along with time and date.
- Start sending out invitations.
- Browse designs for wedding jewellery and approximate costs.
- Go jewellery shopping for rings, mangalsutra, etc.
- Research what kind of photography you want.
- Research photographers online. Check out some of their work to get a sense of their quality and style.
- Finalize Photographer.
- Book accommodation and tickets for your honeymoon.
3 months to go
- Decide theme for décor.
- Research decorators.
- Shortlist decorators and go through their offered décor ideas.
- Discuss with decorator on your choices.
- Book suitable decorator
- Book an appointment with a beautician and discuss with them if you need any hair or beauty treatment.
- Book an appointment with a fitness trainer to assess whether you want tolose or gain weight for the wedding.
- Join a fitness programme, if needed.
- Explore wedding functions hair and makeup styles.
- Discuss outfit, location and dates for pre wedding photoshoot. Keep an ideal date of 1 month prior to the wedding.
- Also discuss with him the list of events for photography and other details.
- Book all entertainers for all functions.
- Browse through various Mehendi designs.
- Research mehendi artists.
- Finalise and book your favourite mehendi artist.
- Check out outfits for wedding and other functions.
- Start visiting bridal and grooms wear stores.
- Buy all your wedding outfits and accessories.
- Research wedding favours.
- Shop for honeymoon.
2 months to go
- Join a dance lesson or hire a choreographer, if needed.
- Book hotels to accommodate out of town guests.
- Book transportation to and from venues.
- Book a priest.
- Confirm honeymoon reservations.
- Decide return gifts and favours for each of our wedding functions.
- Shop for wedding favours.
- Book Makeup artist for guests.
- Go for a trial hair and make-up session.
- Book Makeup artist.
1 months to go
- Finalise the menu and do a food tasting.
- Make a list of things required for ceremonies, puja and rituals and scatter the list among dependable family members.
- Start taking your pre wedding beauty packages and follow a healthy lifestyle.
- Get your scheduled pre-wedding shoot done.
- Go through cake designs.
- Visit bakers and book a cake for your wedding.
- Find Trousseau Packer and get trousseau packed.
- Decide on the bride and groom entry ideas.
- Get your final haircut and colour.
- Book security personal.
- Pack gifts and favours.
- Discuss with DJ/band/musician and make a list of all songs to play at each event. Ex: Bride and groom entry, etc.
2 weeks to go
- Reconfirm the presence and timing of vendors for their respective events.
- Go through the timeline of ceremonies with your family and close guests.
- Check the fit of your outfits in as there has been a size change.
- Give outfits for steam iron and get them ready.
- Discuss with your photographer, hand him over list of important moments to capture.
- Finalize seating and decor arrangements.
- Rehearse dance.
- Pack for honeymoon.
1 week to go
- Pick up rentals, if any.
- Put together few meds to avoid distress and also if you have any allergies. Pack a bag of necessities like perfume, blotting tissues, etc.
- Give yourself a relaxing spa and massage.
The wedding day
- Sleep for 9 hours the night before.
- Eat a good breakfast! Allow yourself plenty of time to get ready.
- Put a smile on your face.
- Get married!!
- Review and send a thank you note for all your vendors
- Make sure you source pictures of every moment from you friends and fam. Just in case the photographer missed something.
- Give all your outfits for cleaning and keep them at safe place.
- Take a spa or massage to relax through post wedding exhaustion.
- Leave for the honeymoon!
More than 1 year
- Decide on a personal date to get married
- Employ an expert wedding coordinator
- Determine the amount of attendees, venue and time of day for the marriage event
- Come to an agreement on the wedding finance and expenses and how the costs are going to be split between both bride and groom’s families
- Discuss about the schedule of events that would take place on your wedding day
- Systematically monitor the wedding expenses and track who paid for each of the expense item
- Organize aninvitee list which includes family and friends from both sides of the family
- Think about inevitable factors which may affect your wedding event (e.g. climate conditions, national elections, etc.)
- Book your marriage ceremony site
- Reserve marriage reception site
- Book your bridal ceremony & reception photographers
- Book your bridal ceremony & reception videographers
- Choose the wedding concept and colour scheme
- Update your passport & visa for your honeymoon
6 to 12 months
- Book the wedding planner
- Book your marriage event musicians
- Book your marriage event florists and decorators
- Book your marriage event caterer
- Book your marriage event entertainment
- Choose who are your bridesmaids and best men
- Choose who will be the emcee of your event
4 to 6 months
- Book hiring materials required for your marriage ceremony
- Book your cosmetic stylist, hair dresser and mehendi artist
- Book your wedding suite
- Complete attendance list and get the wedding invitation postal addresses
- Choose and buy wedding card invitations; remember to include map location of the wedding event venue
- Draft and send electronic invitations
- Compile an index of people to assist you on the wedding day( guest ushers, gift attendant, wedding & reception coordinator, food catering coordinator etc.) and their tasks
- Start preparing for the honeymoon
2 to 4 months
- Book your special wedding cake
- Book your wedding car, as well as decor for the wedding car and bridal party entourage
- Buy or rent wedding costumes
- Buy or rent wedding costume for parents, best men & bridesmaids
- Buy thank you gifts for wedding assistants and guests
- Prepare things to do for the guests who are from outstation
- Make a visit to the dentist to cleanse or whiten your teeth
6 to 8 weeks
- Post marriage invitation cards and email electronic invitations
- Monitor invitations sent out and responses received, and send thank you notes for guests who provided presents
- Buy or rent bride’s accessories
- Buy the bride’s shoes
- Buy the bridaljewellery (thali, matrimonial rings, etc.)
- Organize safety escort for bridal entourage which wear weighty jewellery
- Complete catering arrangements with the caterer
- Organize pre-wedding and bridal portrait photography to be taken
2 to 6 weeks
- Finalize marriage ceremony particulars with marriage officiant
- Follow-up with invitees who have yet to reply and complete arrangements for guest seating
- Compose a comprehensive timeline of the wedding event
- Give a copy of the wedding schedule to your wedding vendors
- Decide who will usher the bride and groom on the wedding day
- Give a checklist of photos you would like captured to your photographer
- Give a list of special people or events you want included in the video to your videographer
- Give the list of songs you would like played at your wedding event to the deejay
- Create the wedding venue direction guide boards, gift collection box and guestbook
- Beautify both bride and groom’s home
- Ensure your bridal attire fits and make any alterations if necessary
- Appoint your wedding car drivers
- Review your wedding schedule
- Give a copy of the wedding layout to your venue manager and caterer
- Confirm the guest count and give to your venue manager and caterer
- Let your wedding vendors know of any last minute changes
- Confirm honeymoon reservations and prepare for your honeymoon
- Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the bridal guest list
- List down items to be brought on the wedding day and perform a full review of the items on this checklist
- Appoint someone you trust to assist you in paying the wedding vendors after the wedding event is completed
- Appoint an individual to give back hired items once the event is completed
- Appoint an individual to assist in placing wedding location direction guide boards at proper locations
- Appoint an individual to manage the wedding caterers and the wedding venue arrangement
- Arrange an individual to manage the wedding floor –to coordinate the emcee, DJ, entertainers, site lighting etc.
- Give the finalized wedding schedule to all members of your wedding party
- Give the finalized wedding schedule to all wedding vendors
- Communicate seating arrangements with ushers
- Enjoy the wedding you planned and relax!